Friday, November 2, 2012

Sweet potato and melted onion pizza

This is really yummy.  I got the idea here and the recipe for melted onions here.  I sliced half of a sweet potato really thinly using my mandolin slicer.  I wanted to make sure they were done enough so I lined a small cookie sheet with foil and smeared it with olive oil.  Then I put the potatoes on one layer deep.  I brushed the tops of the potatoes with oil too.  I stuck them in the oven for about 12-15 minutes.

For the onions, it says 45 minutes but I would give yourself at least 1 1/2 hours or even 2.  They are really low maintenance.  I didn't have that long so I turned the heat up and stirred the stuff occasionally. 

I prebaked my crust and then spread the onions all over and placed the potato slices on top.  I litely sprinkled feta, parmesan, and shredded cheese (mexican blend, I think) on top--not like you would a regular pizza though. 

It is really good.  Don't be deterred by the onions--when they are cooked this way, they have a really mild flavor. 

I also made a spinach and fresh tomato pizza.  I coated a half-baked pizza crust with olive oil, chopped up a bunch of spinach and added that next.  and placed thinly sliced tomatoes all over.  Then sprinkled with feta.  I cook it for about 8 minutes more.  It's a really nice, fresh pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment