Monday, October 15, 2012

How to make a light saber for 5 bucks or less

Supplies:

Flashlight (about 1" or 1 1/2" diameter)
Smart Water bottle (the plastic is nice and smooth)
Red, green, or blue tissue paper
clear packing tape

Directions:

1.  Drink water (or dump it out)

2.  Cut top and bottom off of bottle and take the label off.  Then cut the bottle down the length of the bottle.  Then cut the bottle in half long ways.  You should have two long pieces of smooth plastic. 

3. Take one layer of tissue paper and adhere it to the label adhesive on the plastic as smoothly as you can.

4.  Curl up one piece of covered plastic to fit around the head of the flashlight.  I used rubber bands to the plastic curled while I used the tape to tape around the entire tube.  Note:  I did not attach it to the flashlight.  Then I took the second piece of plastic and added to the length of the first.  tape that.  The tissue paper should be fully covered with tape to keep it rain-proof.  I left a hole at the top so that it still works as a flashlight.


I decided to leave the tube non-permanently connected to the flashlight so I can add more batteries as necessary  If it falls off, I can just shove it back on but it hasn't been a problem so far.  This thing is fairly sturdy--especially compared to the $10 and $20 dollar ones you can buy at the store.  Plus, to make a new one, all I have to do is buy a new water bottle :)

Most importantly, Noah thinks it is the coolest thing in the world right now.  Right along with the hooded robe and yoda hat I made for his Halloween costume.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to see Noah-Yoda pictures!
    Has Mark told you that he has sometimes accused me of looking like emperor (not senator!) Palpatine?

    ReplyDelete