Monday, June 14, 2010

How To Make a Bench, briefly

2 months ago, I started visiting a construction site to scavenge for wood scraps for my square foot garden. I got several 4-5ft pieces but unfortunately, all of them were treated and so I couldn't use them for my garden. Since I invested so much time and energy going to the construction site and bugging the poor workers every week, I decided to do something with the wood. I came up with a design for a bench and a table. We ended up making two benches and one short table. A friend let us borrow his circular saw which made this all possible! Here are the drawings for the bench:



The bench seat is about 46" long, 2" deep, and 12" wide. We cut the legs to be about 18" tall. The two cross beams were cut to be the length of the bench seat minus 2 x the thickness of the legs. The crossbeams are probably about 4" wide.

The table follows the same idea except we cut a board in half and put them side by side to make a squarish tabletop. We put a leg at each corner and crossbeams connecting each leg to make the table sturdy.

We primed and painted them a very bright color so that when every thing is brown and dead out here, I will still be able to look out my window and see a little color!

Noah needed a project too








No comments:

Post a Comment