Monday, June 14, 2010

Why a square foot garden....

Here are some reasons why I decided to make a square foot garden (as opposed to other gardens)

1. I am a renter and I don't feel comfortable digging up our landlord's yard

2. I have no desire to till the earth--Mel tells you how to make the perfect soil-free soil

3. Mel (SFG genius) has a very compelling and convincing book

4. Minimal weeding--maybe like 30 seconds worth every other day or when I feel like it

5. I can extend the seasons, my garden is technically movable and I can easily cover it with one tarp if necessary

6. I like the idea of compact gardening

7. Will provide exactly the amount of harvest I need for my small family

8. I can take it with me when I move provided we have room in our moving truck

9. I can easily keep intruders out of my garden because it is small and it was easy to make a small cage for

10. I can easily change crops in and out of each square foot whenever I feel like it. I could grow up to 3 different crops in each square foot during the whole growing season (meaning I could grow a spring crop and then when that's done, put a summer crop in, and then put in a fall crop)

Mel probably has way better and more convincing reasons that have to do with gardening and biology and such. check out his website or check out his book at the library!


Here are a couple pictures.



My green beans are doing really well. Wish I could say the same for my peas. (I will be planting 3 more in this box--I planted each row 2 weeks apart to stagger the harvest.



My neighbor gave me this big pot so I'm going to try to get some peppers out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment