Saturday, April 21, 2018

Pen Court Cafe scones

Most scones you'll eat are dry and gross. These babies are not. Here is the basic recipe that I used (It doesn't specify how many pecans, 1/2 to 1 cup should probably be fine).

When I made them I wanted almond cherry poppyseed scones so instead of the maple extract, I used almond. Instead of pecans I chopped up a cup of dried cherries. And I added the small amount of poppyseeds I had left but 2 tablespoons would be a good amount.

Also, I only had a cup of cream and I made up the difference with 1% milk--the scones still came out amazing. Since cream is expensive, I think this is a reasonable substitution while still getting great results.

I froze the scone dough overnight and baked them in the morning.

I used milk in the glaze as well.

Scone:
4 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 1/4 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
2/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
2 3/8 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 1/2 tsp Maple Extract

Glaze:
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar. Add the pecans. 

2. In a separate bowl, stir together 2 3/8 cups heavy whipping cream and the maple extract. Once combined, use a stand mixer to mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones until just combined. 

3. Line a 9” round pan with plastic wrap and press the dough into the pan. Refrigerate 1 hour. 

4. Preheat oven to 375*F. 

5. Take the dough out of the pan and cut into 12 wedges. Separate and arrange the wedges on one or two cookie sheets. 

6. Bake the scones for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool. 

7. Mix together the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to make a glaze. Using either a spoon or a pastry bag, drizzle the glaze over cooled scones. 

8.Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment