Friday, November 6, 2015

modified recipe for 5-grain hot cereal

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/5graincereal.htm

I love this 5-grain hot cereal and my family has recently started loving it to. which means i have to share with them now. which means i have to make it more often. The recipe above uses measurements of grains before they are milled but since I like to keep these flours on hand, I thought I better just write out the recipe with the conversions for my own convenience:

  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 1 cup barley flour
  • 3/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
I like to make a big batch of this mix and store it in #10 cans. A triple batch fits into one #10 can. Also, I haven't been able to find barley lately so I am subbing in buckwheat flour.

Her instructions for cooking:

In a small saucepan combine the cereal and cold water. You use cold water because it prevents lumps. Add the salt and juice concentrate. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with milk. Makes 1 serving.
To make 4 servings: use 1 cup of 5 Grain Cereal, 3 cups of cold tap water, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/3 cup apple juice concentrate.


I never use apple juice. instead, I throw in some butter and brown sugar and a little milk/cream. No wonder everyone loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment