Wednesday, March 12, 2014

If You Like Pina Coladas...

come with me and escape this endless winter! I've been dreaming up a pina colada pie for several months now and I haven't quite found the right recipe yet. So I came up with my own. Also, I decided to invite a friend over who is currently gluten and dairy free and I thought this pie would be the easiest to make for her. Oh, and it's Mormon-style--so no alcohol, just extract here!

Crust:

3 cups sweetened coconut
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
zest of one lime
a squeeze of 1/2 a lime
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

Mix zest, flax, and coconut together. Stir in lime juice and coconut oil. Press into a pie plate. Bake at 325F for 10-15 minutes--the crust should be golden brown around the edges.

Filling:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt

13.5 floz can of coconut milk (about 2 cups)
20 ounce can of pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple--I pureed mine

2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract

Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large pot (you don't want any lumps). turn on heat to medium high and whisk as you slowly add coconut milk and pineapple puree. Continuously whisk without any distractions--NO INSTAGRAMMING! :) --until mixture begins to boil. It should be thick. Remove from heat and add coconut extract and coconut oil while still stirring. Stir until c. oil is completely melted and incorporated. Pour into a glass bowl and put wrap over it, directly on the surface of the pudding. Chill in fridge until set. Once, cool, transfer to pie crust.*

Meringue--Haven't made it yet but just a typical meringue with rum extract.


*I poured my filling straight into the pie crust without letting it cool first. So this part of the directions is what I would do differently if the crust ends up being soggy :)


 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for pie day!! We didn't have any around here...actually forgot it was pie day...but it makes me really happy to see you celebrating full force!

    ReplyDelete