Sunday, August 1, 2010

Not enough nutrients

Remember how a couple posts ago I gave a list of reasons why my plants weren't doing so well? I decided to go with the hypothesis that there weren't enough nutrients in my soil.

Last week I dug up a few of my squares and replanted green beans, another watermelon, and pumpkin. I almost dug up my lettuce and broccoli which had been stagnant for awhile. But I decided to give them a chance. I added some fertilizer I hand on hand to all of the plants--but especially the squares that I was going to replant. So far so good! My former green beans are looking greener than usual and the new crop is already so much richer and luscious than the former were when they were sprouting! My stagnant lettuce and broccoli are starting to grow again too! My pumpkin has sprouted. Still waiting on the second watermelon.

Lettuce (and broccoli beneath)


So for now I will conclude that lack of nutrients was the problem.


Here's another problem I've been dealing with:


Something has been eating my broccoli. Turns out there are little caterpillars that find their way to my broccoli. they match the color exactly so they are hard to spot. Now I know I need to check every now and then to debug my broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment