Thursday, June 30, 2016

Ultimate blueberry cake

I used this recipe to make Ellie's blueberry cake. I will try to remember the modifications I made as best I can even though it was almost a month ago!

http://addapinch.com/the-best-white-cake-recipe/

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
½ cup vegetable shortening
3 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
4-serving instant French vanilla pudding mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream--add a little cream or whole milk to thin it out
1/2-1 cup blueberry puree (eyeball amount to get the right consistency, honestly I probably used the entire pint of blueberry puree...)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Also, I used 3 pints of fresh blueberries.

Follow the instructions about the same, cooking time will probably be longer but I always start with the original cooking time minus 5 minutes and go from there.

Once called have cooled, I wrap them and put them in the freezer!

Blueberry puree: put a pint of blueberries in a saucepan with a spoonful of sugar and a little water. Heat until berries are bursting and I can mash then with the back of my spoon.

To assemble cake I made a blueberry buttercream using a buttercream recipe I have and adding some blueberry puree (2nd pint of berries!). I was very careful with how much puree I added to the buttercream because i did not want it too thin.

I take one cake out of the freezer and frost with thin layer of buttercream. Then I took a 3rd pint of blueberries and covered the cake with fresh berries. Then I pour the extra puree leftover from the buttercream on top of all the berries. It was a delicious mess. Then I got the second cake from the freezer and frosted the bottom and placed it on top of the first layer. Then I frosted the whole cake with another thin layer because I put fondant on top to make it a purple blueberry jasmine cake. But if you skip the fondant, just use the rest of the buttercream to frost a beautiful cake. Keep in fridge if it's for the next day, or on the counter if for the same day.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment